1. Loan Period - All books and audiobooks (including Playaways) may be borrowed for 4 cycles at a time (24 school days). After four cycles, or 24 school days, books need to be returned or renewed.
Students usually return books after one or two cycles so that they may select new books during library class. It is the student's responsibility to return library materials on time...not parents' or teachers'!
E-books can be borrowed in a student's MackinVIA backpack for up to 2 weeks, or 14 calendar days. After that, they are automatically "returned" and are available for others to check out. Students can not renew e-books, but if there are no holds, they can check it out again.
2. Special Loan Periods - Books used for literature circles may be borrowed for as long as the group is reading it.
3. Fines - There are no fines for kindergarten and 1st grade students, however, if books are not returned, students may not check out new books. Fines are assessed for overdue materials beginning in 2nd grade. Fines for overdue books, audiobooks, and maker kits are $0.05 per day.
4. Lost or Damaged Materials - If a book is lost, a $20.00 replacement fee is charged for a hardcover book, or $5.00 for a paperback book. Audiobook and Playaway replacement fees vary according to the cost of the item; please see the Playaway page for more information. Maker kit replacement fees also vary according to the part that is lost; see the Maker Kits page for more information.
If the lost book, audiobook, or maker kit is found and returned in good condition prior to the end of the school year, then the replacement fee is returned. Also, if a library book, audiobook, or maker kit is damaged so that it cannot be circulated again, a replacement or repair fee is charged. In the case of a damaged book, it is the student's responsibility to tell or show Mrs. Jakubowicz or Mrs. Borell so that the book can be repaired.
5. Absences - If a student is absent on the day he/she has library class, books should be returned the day that the student returns. It is the student's responsibility to tell Mrs. Borell or Mrs. Jakubowicz that he/she was absent so that fines for overdue materials can be waived.
6. Questions? - If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail or call Mrs. Jakubowicz at (610) 670-0180 x4707.